Assessment of the factors that influence the market share of different companies marketing pesticides in the Floriculture industry in Kenya
Karanja, Francis Mwangi
MetadataShow full item record
This research project assessed the factors influencing market performance and hence market share of companies marketing pesticides in the floriculture industry in Kenya. The major factors that were studied include product quality, after sales service, brand name or image, contractual obligations and their effect on performance hence market share. Market share analysis was used as a tool of analyzing market performance of pesticide companies marketing pesticides in the floriculture industry in Kenya. The results of this study are expected to contribute towards more insights into factors affecting market share and the relationship of market share to performance. They will also help industry players in determining areas of investment and reasons that would affect their performance in the floriculture sector. Data was collected using questionnaires. The questionnaires were administered to farm/production managers of the farms selected or those responsible for decision on pesticides use and issues. A total of 108 flower farms growing cut flowers in Kenya formed the population of this study out of which 70 farms were sampled using random sampling after grouping them into regions. The researcher used SPSS packages to analyze data using descriptive statistics, frequencies and t-test. Results have been presented using graphs, proportions, and tables where appropriate. The research found that out of fourteen (14) pesticides companies, Bayer has a market share of31.32% followed by Syngenta with 19.13%. Amiran and Basfare third and fourth with a market share of 11.01 % and 10.36% respectively. These four companies control 71.82% of the total pesticide market in the floriculture market. The other ten companies account for only 28.18% of the market in this industry. The results also showed that product quality is the single most important factor determining which product to use or buy. Technical support, after sales service, price, and new product development are areas that companies must invest in to either grow or defend their market share. Mites and powdery mildew control segments are clearly the favorite areas for investment in products since 55.08% of the total pesticide expenditure goes to these two indications. The study recommends similar research in other sectors such as cereals, vegetables, sugarcane, cotton, fruits and coffee since these companies market their products there too. Further investigations into the relationship between factors determining use and/or purchase and market share is also recommended.