An assessment of motivational factors affecting employees' performance: a case of private valuers in Nairobi-Kenya
Wambua, Stephen Nduti
MetadataShow full item record
Employees are the most important resource for an organization. This therefore implies that for operations (activities) to go on smoothly in an organization, employees must invest fully their skills and abilities in discharging their duties. It is employees who create strategies and innovations that enable organizations to produce highly valued products and services. First and foremost, the problem of motivating employees (humans) must be understood not in simple, mechanistic terms, but rather in terms of a more complex and somewhat idiosyncratic process of trying to facilitate desired motivational patterns. In other words there is no magic motivational buttons that can be pushed to "make" people want to learn, work hard and act in a responsible manner the attempt to motivate someone should not be viewed as a power struggle or an opportunity to assert one's authority. Facilitation not control should be the guiding idea in attempts to motivate humans. Even when in a position of power or authority, one's efforts to motivate people will generally be more successful if they are viewed as collaborations between people who may not share the same feelings, expectations and agenda of personal goals. This study sought to access the motivational factors lack of which had led to low morale among the private Valuers. It targeted Valuers working within the private sector in Nairobi city- Kenya. The results from study will be of help to private owned valuation firms in identification of causes of low morale among their employees and hence find ways of improving service provision and profitability. It will also assist the policy makers to come up with a feasible option and policies on employee motivation and morale enhancement. The study will also act as a basis for further research on factors affecting employee motivation among private owned firms in Kenya. Data collection was done through the use of questionnaires. The questionnaire had both open and closed ended questions. Data was coded and entered into a computer for analysis through statistical package for social sciences (S.P.S.S). The data is presented using frequencies, simple percentages and proportions. A total sample of 50 Valuers and 15 employers were selected to form the research sample. The figures represent 25% of the target population for the case of Valuers and 50% of the target population for the case of employers. a total of 35 (55.6%) males and 28 (44.4%) females took part in the research. The figures translate to 1.25:1. This means that both men and women were equally represented. The results of the study indicate that most respondents felt their salary was not enough to meet their needs 92% while the remaining 8% reported in the affirmative. Those who said the salary was not enough indicated that the money could hardly afford them a descent accommodation. 85% of the Valuers indicated that their salary was lower than what the public sector was offering following the recent salary increment for civil servants .Only 25% of the Valuers reported that they received non monetary benefits from their employers. This included coffee breaks treats, free lunches, Easter hums, Christmas turkeys, and company transport and name tags. There is need for both the government and private employers to put measures in place to ensure that Valuers are maximally motivated. The findings of this research have fully proved that improvement in performance can't be achieved through provision of inadequate motivational factors.